Baby Shower Cake Ideas
Looking for a fresh and original baby shower cake idea? A party is not complete without a cake, and this also applies to baby showers.Baby shower cakes are a great way to end a joyous baby shower party. Baby shower cakes are specially decorated for baby shower parties. Baby shower cakes can be designed to match the theme of the baby shower party. Baby shower cakes are not only delightful to look at, they are also good to eat.
When shopping around for baby shower cakes, it's a good idea to ask the mom-to-be what type of cake flavor she wants for the cake. Baby shower cakes can be made from any cake flavor and icing for the enjoyment of the celebrant and the other party guests. Baby shower cakes are also interesting as there is no end to the creativity and design of these lovable cakes. Baby shower cakes make for an ideal centerpiece at the food table of the baby shower party.
Baby shower cakes are sometimes referred to as 'diaper cakes' or 'baby cakes'. What's the difference between them? Baby shower cakes are the actual cakes that can either be homemade or bought from the store. While 'diaper cakes' are baby shower basket cakes that consist of different baby items.
'Diaper cakes' may be a real cake decorated with baby diapers and assorted baby items. Or 'diaper cakes' may also be made of real baby diapers that are arranged like a layered cake. The decorations of the 'diaper cake' consists of a variety of baby items for the newborn.'Diaper cakes' are wrapped in cellophane and tied with adorable ribbons for a finished look. Like the scrumptious baby shower cakes, 'diaper cakes' make for interesting conversation during the baby shower party.
Homemade baby shower cakes
The process of making baby shower cakes is the same as making any other type of cake. However creating homemade baby shower cakes requires a certain degree of creativity and baking ability to arrange one for a baby shower party.
Individuals who are adept in cake decorating and are gifted bakers may do well in creating baby shower cakes for friends' baby shower parties. The celebrant and guests will surely appreciate the effort that went into the creation of the homemade cake for the shower.
There are a number of helpful baking items that can be used to create homemade baby shower cakes. Many baking supply stores offer a wide variety of special baking pans with different designs for baby shower cakes. Popular cartoon characters on special baking pans make great baby shower cakes.
Store-bought baby shower cakes
But those who are not skilled in baking need not worry. There are numerous specialty bakeshops that create exceptional baby shower cakes. Many specialty bakeshops can also customize baby shower cakes to match the theme of the baby shower party.
It is important to get baby shower cakes from a quality bakeshop that specializes in designer cakes. This will ensure that the cake is fresh, good-tasting and aesthetically appealing. It is best to shop for baby shower cakes in advance in order to get the just right cake for the baby shower party. It is also important to shop early as most of the best specialty bakeshops offering baby shower cakes are also the busiest in town.
Whether homemade or store-bought, baby shower cakes are a sweet ending to a festive baby shower party.
Cake Making Methods
Cakes are one of the great things about baby showers, and they can be made using various basic techniques, such as the following:
1. All-in-together - this is done by placing the dry ingredients in a food processor (together with the shortening) before gradually adding the liquid ingredients.
2. Creaming method - this is done by 'creaming' butter and sugar together before gradually adding the rest of the ingredients.
3. Rubbing method - this is done by 'rubbing' the butter into the dry ingredients before adding the liquid ones.
4. Melt-and-mix - this is done by are first mixing the dry ingredients together, adding the melted butter and the other liquid ingredients afterwards to complete the cake.
5. Sponge-making - this is done by whipping the eggs and sugar into a froth, with the flour carefully mixed in. Making a light sponge requires great skill, as it does not use any raising agent or fat.
Finished cakes are usually enhanced with the use of frosting (icing) or toppings (such as sprinkles.
List of Cakes
There are different varieties of baby shower cakes to choose from. Some of them are listed below. You can click on the links to access a recipe for those cakes.
- Angelfood cake
- Butter cake
- Butterfly cake
- Carrot cake
- Chocolate cake
- Chiffon cake
- Devil's food cake
- Fruit cake
- Ice cream cake
- Pineapple upside down cake
- Pound cake
- Spice cake
- Sponge cake
- Sunshine cake
Aside from the cake varieties above, there are also a lot of baby shower cake ideas that can make a baby shower celebration more special:
1. Belly Cake. One great idea is to design a baby shower cake and make it look like a pregnant belly. This can be done by placing a circular cake in front of a rectangular cake and frosting them together to resemble that of a pregnant belly.
2. Toy Blocks Cake. Another idea is to design a baby shower cake and make it look like children's toy blocks (either one large block or 3 to 4 smaller blocks). Toy block cakes can be further enhanced by surrounding them with candies or little toy cars.
Of course, you can also experiment and try to come up with creative ideas of your own. Remember that the 'goal' is not only to make a yummy dessert, but also a great centerpiece that will stand out in the memories of the parents-to-be.